ConKerr Cancer - "A Case for Smiles - Helping children feel special while battling life changing illnesses." ConKerr Cancer was started in 2002 when Cindy Kerr began making colorful pillowcases for her son Ryan who was in the hospital for long periods of time. The pillowcases brightened up his hospital room and put a smile on his face. The pillowcases became so loved by Ryan that Cindy and friends began making them for other sick children.
So how can you help? Join us in our quest for smiles! Make a cheerful pillowcase for a child who is sick with cancer or another serious illness or donate funds to help us purchase supplies and expand the effort! Donate through our our website ConKerr Cancer
How to make a Pillowcase directions
- 3/4 yard of fabric for pillowcase
- 1/3 yard of fabric for border of pillowcase
- Cut the body of the case 26 1/2″ x 40 1/2″ and the border 10 1/2″ x 40 1/2″.
- Fold the border in half lengthwise, with the wrong sides together, and press.
- Place the right side of the border on the right side of the body of the case. Stitch together using a 1/2″ seam allowance.
- Place right sides of the pillowcase together. Stitch down the side and across the bottom. Turn to the right side and press.
- Please finish seams so the pillowcases will not fray.
NOTE: Make sure to wash the fabric for the protection of the children with suppressed immunity. Please check with your local chapter for specific hospital washing instructions. In addition place each pillowcase in a ziplock bag. Pillowcases must be dropped off at a drop off site or mailed to the coordinator.
How do you make delivery of pillowcases (Do not deliver directly to the hospitals.)? You can find your local coordinator through our website or you can send me your pillowcases. I am the coordinator for Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
4487 Capital Heights Ave
Baton Rouge, LA 70806